Re: make yum repo when we build things in koji

On 19 January 2018 at 22:53, Dusty Mabe <dusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/19/2018 10:39 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> [harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/koji.repo
>> [koji]
>> name=Koji Repo
>> baseurl=https://koji.fedoraproject.org/repos/f$releasever-build/latest/$basearch/
>> enabled=0
>> skip_if_unavailable=1
>> gpgcheck=0
>> sslverify=0
>
> Thanks!
> I didn't know about this, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for because that seems
> to includ everything that has been built. I'm looking more specifically for just a repo
> with a particular rpm in it. So for example. I currently want to test the new grub2 update
> for f27, but I only want to test that update and I want to compose a new ostree with it. If
> I use the repo you provided then I get all new latest built packages included.
>
> Another reason to have the feature I request is so that scratch builds can be easily tested.

Reasons for not doing this in the past were:
1. Extra load on koji for downloading for software to developers. Koji
has a complex caching system which is finicky. Making it more friendly
for builders makes it less friendly for users. Making it more friendly
for users makes it worse for builders.
2. Extra software to break and needing support from admins to track
down. We already get a daily set of "why did my scratch build not show
up?" Every time createrepo blows up it is going to cause problems that
need to be dealt with.
3. Extra disk space on something which is running at 90+% of N TB most
of the time. You are looking at a repository for every package all the
time.. several hundred thousand repositories.
4. Tight release schedules on trying to deliver all the other things
which means we can't implement the cleanups we have put off for N
months because we needed one more thing added.
5. People wanting larger and larger sub repositories. One of the
reasons copr got built was because people thought they only needed 1
package but it quickly became "I need these 12 packages to actually
test this 1 thing". You could have 12 repos activated with 12x the
load on the koji server.. or you could have 1 repo with those 12
packages in it.

I can only look at this and say "We already have a tool for this.. its
called copr" If copr does not have something that works for ostree, it
would be better to work on getting it there.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.