Re: EPEL support in "master" branch (aka speeding up Fedora development)

Dne 20.1.2018 v 12:27 Igor Gnatenko napsal(a):
> Why I'm writing this? I want to hear from you if you think it would be good to
> prohibit (or advise, or whatever mechanism would work) usage if conditionals in
> (at least) master branch to allow us to develop features faster. Thoughts?

-1

If this were ever approved, I would orphan a lot of packages because I will not have time to maintain them.

> Given all these, it is very hard to get any new feature in "production" because
> everyone wants to support 10 years old thing (even if they don't think so).

Can you give a specific example? Everything you mentioned can be easily conditionalized on RHEL7+.

For me (as an upstream author who maintains the spec file as well) the conditionals are useful. When I see something like:

  %if 0%{?rhel} < 6

then I know I can wipe it now and **remove the relevant code** in the application as well.

Maintaining 3 spec files for Fedora and 1-2 spec files for EPEL is much much bigger overhead. Especially when they are
mostly identical and differ only in few lines.

Mirek