Re: <DKIM> Re: EPEL analyse/observation, some question, PR proposals/questions and more ..

On Jan 22, 2018 11:32, <nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

----- Mail original -----
De: "Stephen John Smoogen"

> They pull in what they want to make it work and could
> give a care if it is readable to anyone else.

The problem is that past a certain point those become effectively unmaintainable and start dragging Fedora in the EL blackhole instead of Fedora pulling EL forward.

My thoughts exactly. By maintaining "compatibility" with downstream/ other distros at any cost, no meaningful improvements can ever be made, because fedora's downstreams won't implement new things earlier than fedora itself.

I'm particularly looking forward to improvements regarding golang. The automated .spec generation is nice for getting new packages started, but maintaining those packages currently is a small nightmare in itself due to brittle scripts and a ton of unnecessary, nested conditionals.

Fabio

It's real easy to get there, just accumulate enough EL-related cruft making any change is a PITA, and then hope 'something' in the next EL will clean up things (it won't because Fedora is El's upstream and reverting the relationship deadlocks)
Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot