EPEL analyse/observation, some question, PR proposals/questions and more ..

As preface some oneliner result:

[tkloczko@domek SPECS.fedora]$ for i in el4 el5 el6 el7 rhel centos epel; do echo -n "$i "; grep '%{?'$i * | wc -l; done
el4 10
el5 243
el6 265
el7 281
rhel 5428
centos 239
epel 45

1) Shortly I'm going to create PR with mass change request to remove all EL4 and EL5 conditional builds as EL{5,6} are no longer supported.

2) Looks like in recent months number of new/updated EPEL EL6/EL7 packages dropped down to between few to about 20 a month with sometimes tents thousands a month Fedora updates on master weight/cost of all EPEL %ifings is few magnitudes higher than real outcome.

FTR: I'm going to add this to final list of arguments/facts why all EPEL maintenance should be moved to branches when I'll be sending email with list of arguments about why EPEL support should be removed from master.

3) When PR with request to remove from master EL{4,5} support will be finished I'm going to raise next mass change request will be about remove all <= F25 as all those Fedora versions as well should be no longer supported on master.

4)  I think that Fedora procedures should be updated when some older version passes EOS. Just after this automatically should be dome mass update removing support such EOSed version.

5) kind of proposal about change general policy
In many specs I found some commented lines with notes like "Remove before F<number>".

[tkloczko@domek SPECS.fedora]$ grep -i "remove before f" * | wc -l
161

I think that making such notes should be forbidden and exact set of lines should be wrapped by %ifing (without addition comments),
This will make cyclic all legacy stuff cleanups easier/possible to perform using very simple script/oneliner.
Q: is it enough to raise next PR about update Fedora doc about above?

6) I think that all %{rhel} %ifings should be removed or replaced by %{el6} and %{el7}.
Reason: it duplicated description of the same things.
Q: PR?

7) Like in 6) the same is with %{epel} %ifings

8) Why we have %{centos} %ifings? Theoretically Centos is EL derivate up to ABI level so all this should be:

a) removed
b) replaced by %{el6} and %{el7} (and if it is anything older .. remove)
c) if ContOS guys are using Fedora gir repos to preserve some CentOS specific changes they should move all this stuff to own git (create project on github it is not rocket science). IMO definitely %{centos} is next candidate to remove from master branch.

Next will try to have closer look on %{rhel}, %{epel} and %{centos} %ifings to form more and/or more precise conclusions/observations.

kloczek
--
Tomasz Kłoczko | LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH