Re: EPEL support in "master" branch (aka speeding up Fedora development)

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 3:38 AM, Tomasz Kłoczko
<kloczko.tomasz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 22 January 2018 at 07:58, Igor Gnatenko
> <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [..]
>>> On 22 January 2018 at 02:12, R P Herrold <herrold@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> [..]
>>> What I'm worry it is that this supportability is only kind of fata
>>> morgana/ilution and RH effectively spitted long time ago from Fedora
>>> without telling about this to Fedora developers.
>>> More and more small evidences says me that it may be truth.
>>> In other case it would be possible to see as well kind of RH feedback
>>> about some crucial Fedora changes.
>>> Simple I cannot find traces of such discussions (however maybe I'm
>>> looking in wrong place).
>>> Other fact which may cut this knot is volume EPEL related bugs/issues
>>> reported over bugzilla.
>>
>> Note that RHEL/CentOS doesn't have to copy specs 1:1. AFAIK it never was that
>> specs were 100% same. However, I'm pretty sure that "branching" RHEL is
>> happening from Fedora.
>
> It happens only when next major EL release is made.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Relationship_with_Fedora

Let's keep in mind that the info represented in that wiki page is all
derived from after the fact information.  It is not predictive of how
RHEL is developed or even how its development might change.

> After make major release no one cares what happen next in Fedora.

This is false.  Even by your own reasoning, lots of people certainly
care in the context of the release after the current one.  However
even the period between major RHEL releases is important in terms of
Fedora and RHEL.

> Looking on the graph on the wiki I think that EL8 will be released
> more likely within 2 years if not three.
>
> Effectively Fedora has not to much from relation with RH *between*
> major EL releases in form of straight contribution to Fedora constant

We can argue all day about whether or not this is reality (I would
contest that it isn't), but let's step back for a second.

If that is the mentality people are taking when approaching the Fedora
and RHEL relationship, on either side of the fence, that is a
*problem*.  Fedora and RHEL are symbiotic, and I would strongly argue
that we need to strengthen that relationship if anything.  Without
doing that, Fedora loses relevance to its primary sponsor and RHEL
loses the ability to derive benefit from Fedora.  The benefit goes
beyond spec files and patches.

josh