Re: Wyland is a disaster

On 21/01/18 13:06, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2018, at 8:24 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> 	I'm sorry, but wyland is a disaster for me.  I do work on lots
>>> of different software platforms, and things are just not working well.
>>> They kind-of-work, which is the really worst condition one can have.
>> For me, this looks more like a support issue and as such doesn't not
>> belong to this development list. I suggest that you:
> I disagree, this looks like an overarching observation of interest to the development community. Anyone else seen this as a pattern?
I started to see it when I realized that most of the crashes that where
reported to me by users (forums, chats, face-to-face) were related
(directly or indirectly) to Wayland: every time that I heard someone
with an application that won't start or crashes every time after a few
clicks, I suggest to report the bug (and a strange Gnome Abrt pops-up
with two or three buttons labeled "Report" "Report" "Report") and switch
temporary to Xorg, which fixes the problem most of the time.

When users see that a Xorg session works as expected and they gain
nothing valuable to them from using Wayland, they stick with Xorg. They
realize that their crashes are not related to bugs in their code (many
of them don't, so they blame Audacity, Pitivi, Steam, etc.), but to
Wayland or some other related component, they start to avoid the
Gnome/Wayland session and it is reasonable to receive mails like the one
from Howard Howell (the user who started this discussion).

Note: some users have a password-less account, and it is not possible to
set an alternative session from GDM if you have no password (the gear
icon appears only when GDM prompts for the password), so the user should
set a password first, log out, select Gnome with Xorg, log in, remove
the password (this is not related with Wayland, it is just a usability
issue with GDM and/or with the Gnome user settings control panel).

Cheers,
Frafra