Re: Proposal to remove NetworkManager from Core group

On Fri, 2018-01-19 at 10:02 +0100, David Demelier wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-01-19 at 07:59 +0100, Thomas Haller wrote:
> > the message doesn't give much motivation beside "can be avoided in
> > many
> > cases". I would be intrested in your exact criticism.
> >

> Hello,
>
> Don't take this personally (I feel you thought some offense). I never
> said NetworkManager sucks and must not be used. I use it on all my
> desktops because it just work fine ;)
>
> I just think there are many network possibilities on Linux and
> therefore I was proposing to not add a mandatory default in Core.
> Especially for people creating extremely minimal appliance (raspberry
> pi, firewall) where both network script and systemd-networkd may
> already be enough.

Hi,

I was not offended. Sorry if it sounded like that. I just wanted to
give my perspective.

I don't mean this discussion specifically, however I often wished there
would be less fragmentation and duplication of work. Better fewer great
solutions, then many half backed.

When you say "Core" group, what are the practical effects of removing
it? You can uninstall NetworkManager on Fedora today. Do you mean, it
should not be installed by default? But you need a way to connect to
the network on a newly installed system, if only to download networkd.
Would you then install networkd by default?

best,
Thomas