Re: Pulling in rpmfusion appstream data with weak dependencies?

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 08:47:49PM +0100, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> > Thanks -- I thought so but was too lazy to check at the moment. So the
> > above should do it, right?
> Recommends are not different from Supplements. They still have same
> behavior as Ankur mentioned. We need to fix this rather than trying
> to workaround it (also given that proposed workaround won't work).

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying. The problem Ankur
mentioned is because he's trying to make one package supplement
another, and that is only processed if that other package is updated.
But here, putting it in the release package would make that release
package be updated (by tautology -- an update is an update), and so the
Recommends would be processed when people get that update. And if
PackageKit or gnome-software is installed, they'd get the
other-repo-appstream package pulled in too, right? (I guess that could
also be "Recommends: other-repo-appstream if appstream".)

Sure, it'd be semantically nicer to have other-repo-appstream have a
supplements relationship with the fedora appstream package in the
package directly, but I don't think that having the release package
recommend it is semantically wrong, either, so I don't think it's right
to call this a "workaround", exactly. It's a different way to do the
same thing which, hey, should work, right?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>