Re: Status of SWDB (Unified database for DNF)

> Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > Even if it does, it should have been advertised as a system-wide change
> > for F28 which is no longer possible.
>
> FESCo could approve an exception.
>
> If this really makes package updates made through PackageKit show up in DNF
> history, IMHO, it would be worth considering at least. (But of course not if
> it breaks things.)

The problem is kinda that it's effectively impossible to know for sure
what it breaks (it'll certainly break *something*) before deploying it.
DNF is deeply woven into the compose process, the repo generation
process, package build process...really all the bits of actually
producing the things we call Fedora, honestly. And when something's
that important, we're kinda at the "the map is the territory" stage: we
just don't have an entire Staging Fedora where we can deploy DNF 3 and
find out what's broken. We have staging instances of *some* processes,
but even those are generally not a perfect reflection of how production
behaves. And some things we just don't have a staging or test
environment for at all; we only really get to find the bugs when we
deploy it to production.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey