Re: Proposal to remove NetworkManager from Core group

Hello,

I would prefer to keep Network Manager as core. I don't see what benefits would bring if it's removed and marked as optional.

Regards,
Silvia
FAS: Lailah

On 18 January 2018 at 13:31, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 09:28:30AM +0100, David Demelier wrote:
> Since systemd-networkd is a mature network system daemon nowadays,
> NetworkManager can be avoided in many cases where people do not need
> desktop features.
> I propose to remove NetworkManager from the “Core” group and mark it as
> optional or eventually move it into a dedicated group. Perhaps “Common
> NetworkManager Submodules”?
> What do you think?

I'm not super-excited about having multiple very different ways of
configuring networking. We were finally on track to one path via
NetworkManager.

At the very least, I'd like to see a generator so systemd-networkd can
read and understand basic ifcfg files, and I'd like the transition back
and forth to be seamless if NetworkManager is installed or removed.

Note that NetworkManager also now has a lightweight "run once and exit"
mode that can be used when "desktop features" or other advanced
functionality isn't needed. Since a lot of its development is funded by
Red Hat for enterprise needs, NetworkManager is a lot more than just a
desktop thing.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>