Re: Python3 will be in next major RHEL release, please adjust %if statements accordingly

JB> Hm.  On the one hand, that's a fair assumption to make.  On the
JB> other hand, it seems unnecessarily adversarial.

I certainly didn't intend it that way; hell, none of that even entered
my mind.  To flip it around, to be completely honest your response comes
off just this side of overly defensive (which I would wager you also
didn't intend).  But you brought it up, so here's my thought process.

As a person not privy to Red Hat internals, I really have no idea what
state things are in there, but I have to assume that Red Hat is well
along with RHEL8 packaging and so I would be surprised if any changes
made to a rawhide branch in Fedora now would make any difference to how
RHEL8 builds.

So think of it from my perspective, not having any knowledge of Red Hat
release dates and policy.  My interpretation of what Florian wrote was
that doing this (I assumed in rawhide) could potentially help the RHEL8
developers.  Which is great; everyone needs all the help they can get.
But if that's the case, then either RHEL8 hasn't even been branched yet
or it has been branched and someone has already had to make those
changes and they didn't flow back out to Fedora.  I certainly thought
RHEL8 was further along than that, so....

JB> So when a community member reaches out and asks people to help out
JB> with a small change to packages that *already* conditionalize
JB> something, I don't see why that isn't a reasonable request.

I never intended to imply that it wasn't.  Only that it wouldn't really
matter, and that I didn't think it was worth making any big effort to
convert these things, since things have to be manually branched into
EPEL8 anyway so the maintainer who wants to have them branched there can
simply fix them then.

And of course I offered another solution to this kind of thing, which
would fix a whole class of this kind of thing for all time, but that
idea never seems to get any traction.  (Probably because I never find
the time to push it forward.)

JB> At the very least, I did not expect a discussion about the scope of
JB> Fedora with such a small request.

I didn't either, but then I was quite surprised to see a suggestion that
a community member changing an %if clause in a Fedora package now would
somehow make any difference to what RHEL8 is certainly already doing.

JB> It would have been pretty trivial to script this and use a
JB> provenpackager to make the changes across the board.

Well, we do have a procedure for doing that and which even encourages
such things.  I don't think it's an entirely trivial problem, though,
but certainly if someone wants to take it up I'm not going to object.

 - J<