Re: [Test-Announce] Call for testing: updates to address today's CPU/kernel vulnerability

On 01/03/2018 06:02 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> * The most useful feedback is just whether the kernel boots and works
> correctly on all systems you have access to (assuming they worked OK
> with the previous kernel, of course). If it does, please leave positive
> karma on the relevant update.

I know this update is already out of testing but I wanted to share my
feedback nonetheless as I ran into some regressions.  My x86_64 box
looked to be hanging during boot.  My first thought was, yeah got to run
`akmods --force && reboot` as I always seem to have to for the stupid
nvidia drivers.  (I'd much prefer nouveau but have had no end of
stability problems.)  However, I couldn't get my usual console on tty2
... or anywhere.  Tried rebooting in single user mode and got the same
result.  Today I tried adding `nopti` ... no discernible difference.
Finally, I just let it hang, went to another box and found I could ssh
in.  Wasn't hung at all, but it was the usual nvidia driver problem.

So, the big Qs are:

Why couldn't I get a login on tty2?
Why didn't single-user work?

Oddly, both work now that the kmod has been rebuilt.

Other details:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK-CF
kernel-4.14.11-300.fc27.x86_64