Re: [Test-Announce] Call for testing: updates to address today's CPU/kernel vulnerability

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 08:44:50AM -0600, Justin Forbes wrote:
> > Does this mean we should do a mass rebuild once those patches have
> > landed? We have a mass rebuild scheduled for Jan 31st (basically three
> > weeks from now). Is that too soon?
> I do not have an answer to this just yet.  I mean theoretically yes,
> retpoline goes into GCC, packages are changed to use the features, and
> a mass rebuild happens. More likely retpoline goes into gcc, and a
> subset of important packages are rebuilt to utilize it. As for timing,
> no clue.  When I asked Jakub about retpoline for Fedora gcc, he said
> the patches hadn't even been posted to the gcc list for review yet.
> That has now happened, but I haven't been following the review on that
> end yet.  I am hoping to get some more answers on retpoline over the
> next couple of days.

Thanks. I hate to say this, because I really value predictable
releases, but we should at least put delaying the mass rebuild for this
into consideration, depending on what the GCC and security teams say.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>