Re: F28 Self Contained Change: Avoid /usr/bin/python in RPM build

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 09:33:44AM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 10.1.2018 03:16, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> >On 10 January 2018 at 11:30, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>In the end I just can't shake the notion that it's bad to have some
> >>random non-python-related environment variable basically breaking
> >>python.
> >
> >Aye, I think you've hit on the main problem: if this is keyed off
> >RPM_BUILD_ROOT, then it will impact all RPM builds that use a Fedora
> >provided Python, even if those builds aren't otherwise required to
> >abide by Fedora's policy settings.
> >
> >With a dedicated environment variable instead, that could look something like:
> >
> >     PYTHON_DISALLOW_AMBIGUOUS_VERSION=0 # Status quo
> >     PYTHON_DISALLOW_AMBIGUOUS_VERSION=1 # Hard failure
> >     PYTHON_DISALLOW_AMBIGUOUS_VERSION=warn # Deprecation warning
>
> This sounds good to me. It didn't occur to me that we can actually
> set a dedicated env vars for our builds (which is even better).

Sounds like a good idea, but it's not entirely clear what "our builds"
means. If it's just koji, then I think this is not enough. We really want
'fedpkg local' and 'fedpkg mockbuild' to emit those warnings too, so that
people can find and fix them easily. And it should not just be possible to
get the warning locally (e.g. by setting a variable from the command line),
but also the default should be the same as in koji, so that the results
of local builds and remote builds match. If this can't be done, the
implementation of this change is going to be harder for packagers.

Zbyszek