Re: Changelog between OS states (ie: VMs)

On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 11:13 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 12:59:20PM -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > I have two VMs, or OS states I can `rpm -qa` on. Is there a script to
> > diff the output of the two listings, and then query the package
> > changelogs to generate an overall OS-wide changelog?
> >
> > Use case: I generated an F26 OVA image using imagefactory 30 days ago,
> > then I generated a new F26 image today. I'd export rpm -qa listings
> > from both, and then get a changelog showing all the package updates,
> > expecting to see the kernel package with the recent CVEs fixed.
> >
> > Does such a tool exist?
>
> virt-inspector can show the differences in packages installed
> between two VMs (run it once on each VM and diff the output).
>
> For more sophisticating diffing, use virt-diff:
>
>   http://libguestfs.org/virt-diff.1.html

I think the interesting part of the request is the combination of
*first* getting the information on what package NEVRs differ between
the two, *then* generating a selective changelog from that list (i.e.
if you know one instance has foo-2.0-1 and the other has foo-2.1-3,
including only the changes between foo-2.0-1 and foo-2.1-3 in the
changelog). I can think of lots of ways to do the first and there are
probably lots of existing implementations of it, but doing the second
is rather less common AFAIK.

The closest existing tool to this that I can think of is the one used
to generate the daily compose reports, which is the `compose-changelog`
tool in this repo:

https://pagure.io/compose-utils

that may be of interest to the original poster.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey