Re: F28 System Wide Change: GCC8

On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 12:11 +0100, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = System Wide Change: GCC8 =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GCC8
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Jakub Jelínek <jakub AT redhat DOT com>
>
> Switch GCC in Fedora 28 to 8.x.y, rebuild all packages with it, or
> optionally rebuild just some packages with it and rebuild all packages
> only in Fedora 29.
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> GCC 8 is currently in stage3, will move to stage4 on January 14th, in
> prerelease state with only regression bugfixes and documentation fixes
> allowed. The release will happen probably in the middle of April. We
> are working on scratch gcc rpms and will perform a test mass rebuild.

The timing on this looks a bit awkward when compared with the current
schedule, which has the Beta going out in March and Final early in May:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/28/Schedule

That would appear to mean we'd have to do a mass rebuild with a pre-
release GCC, or do a mass rebuild between Beta and Final, or suddenly
introduce a new compiler post-Beta, potentially meaning that we need to
rebuild something to fix a blocker bug quite late in the release and
discover that the new GCC which has suddenly appeared causes problems
with building it. None of those sound like great options to me.

Is there significant enough benefit from the new GCC to outweigh all
these potential negative impacts to it going stable between our Beta
and Final releases?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey