Re: F28 Self Contained Change: VirtualBox Guest Integration

On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 02:03:17PM +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2018-01-04 at 14:16 +0100, Jan Kurik wrote:
> > - Add VirtualBox Guest Additions package to the default package list
> > for the Workstation product
>
> I don't understand this one, VirtualBox Guest should *only* be
> installed in an virtual machine .

Sort of.  For VMware, the guest tools (open-vm-tools) are in a special
comps group ‘platform-vmware’ which Anaconda uses when installing on
VMware.  (There is also a comps group containing all guest agents)

In addition the service files use systemd
‘ConditionVirtualization=vmware’ so the service should not start up
unless VMware is detected at run time.

> Today VirtualBox-server conflicts with VirtualBox-guest-additions and
> vice versa .

This sounds right, unless nested virtualization is expected to work
(in which case a layer might be both a hypervisor and a guest).

>  %pre guest-additions
> +if [ $(systemd-detect-virt | grep -iP "oracle|kvm" -c) -eq 0 ]; then
> +echo "This package it is only to install in one Oracle VM VirtualBox."
> +echo "You are trying install VirtualBox guest-additions but it hasn't been \
> +detected that your system is running in a VirtualBox virtualization, so we \
> +forced the installation to fail."
> +exit 1
> +fi

This won't work because you often prepare guest images on a system
other than the final hypervisor.

Rich.