Re: Anything we can do to temporarily halt new bugs filed by abrt for open-vm-tools?

On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 21:26 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> There's a rather prominent and obviously serious bug in open-vm-tools
> right now which causes the daemon to segfault.  It seems like each
> time this happens we get a new bug filed in Bugzilla.  So far over 50
> bugs have been filed ...
>
> Yes we know, and someone from VMware is working on it, but it probably
> won't get fixed until the New Year.
>
> Can we temporarily stop new bugs being filed by abrt for this
> component (open-vm-tools)?

Probably not during the RH holiday shutdown, no, as I would think all
the folks in charge of those bits won't be working.

One cause of excessive dupes being filed by abrt (which I suspect is
the issue here, but I haven't checked to make sure) is its rather
overly-enthusiastic attempts to spot reports which may contain
sensitive information. This is a real problem (we've had a few bugs
filed which had people's passwords and stuff in the attachments, which
is obviously very bad), but in response to that, we would up making
abrt crazy cautious, to the point where I think it now believes almost
all reports contain sensitive information.

When it thinks this, it defaults to a mode where it wants to make
anything submitted to Bugzilla private, and it seems that in this mode,
even when it knows a report is a dupe, it won't just add a comment to
the parent bug, allegedly because it can't make a comment sufficiently
private (I'm not sure on the details of that particular wrinkle).
Instead it files a new private bug and immediately closes it as a
duplicate of the original bug. You can change this - there's a checkbox
during the report workflow which decides the behaviour, when abrt
thinks the report contains sensitive data it defaults to being checked,
and you can uncheck it if you know it's a false positive - but of
course most reporters don't bother with this.

I can think of several things we could do to try and mitigate this (for
instance, when just adding a comment to a parent bug abrt doesn't
actually *attach* any of the files that might contain sensitive data,
so there isn't an awful lot of validity to this behaviour at all), but
they'd all sort of require the devs to be around :/

I guess in theory a BZ admin might be able to somehow block the abrt
account from filing bugs against a specific component temporarily, but
again, the BZ admins are RH staff, and they're probably not working...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey