Re: Removing old cruft, e.g. Provides: systemd-units (was Re: What to I have to do....)

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 4:28 AM, Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After reading all responses in thread which is mentioned in subject I think we
need to develop some policies / procedures how to deal with old cruft, for
example:

- - Requires: systemd-units
- - Requires: /bin/mktemp

Former has changed to systemd in guidelines X years ago (not sure when exactly,
before I did my first package which contains systemd units, so I would guess
something like 5-6 years ago). Latter was removed more then decade ago but we
kept old Provides around for compatibility and seems after 10 years people
still rely on them.

Do you have ideas how policy / procedure of removal those should look like?

Maybe a good first step would be to add detection of these to rpmlint? I usually try the skim my spec files for modernization stuff but I know I don't catch everything. A tool (rpmlint or otherwise) would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Richard