Re: F28 System Wide Change: Reduce Initial Setup Redundancy

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 09:18:30AM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>> I think the change page is already clear that only Workstation
>> should be affected, but it is unclear about how netinstall should be
>> handled. Since we only have one netinstall installer and I believe
>> it uses Server branding, I will update the change page to specify
>> that netinstall should not be impacted.
>
> This isn't correct -- there are separate netinstall images for
> Workstation, Server, and a generic "everything".
>
> * https://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/27/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Workstation-netinst-x86_64-27-1.6.iso
> * https://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/27/Server/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-27-1.6.iso
> * https://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/27/Everything/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Everything-netinst-x86_64-27-1.6.iso
>
> I think the Workstation netinstall image should be consistent with the Live
> Workstation install.

I'm of the opinion that g-i-s should be the one disabling things,
rather than Anaconda. That makes for a more consistent codepath and
prevents an increase in complexity for ensuring everything is sane.

I'm also concerned that if we disable aspects of Anaconda, the quality
and support of those features will degrade rapidly.

We've already had issues like that with disk/partitioning and package
selection since primarily moving to live media, so I loathe the
thought of this happening to more parts of the installer.