What happened to Platform-Python?

Hey everybody!
Some of you may have noticed RPMs called `platform-python-foo` on your Fedora 27, and even others may have noticed that these have recently been removed from rawhide. This is expected, read on if you'd like to know more.

Fedora 27

The `platform-python-*` RPMs are part of a F27 [Fedora Change] called the Platform Python Stack. This change was aimed primarily to support the F27 Modular Server release, specifically to create a completely separate Python stack that would be parallelly installable with Python from the `python3` module. This Platform-Python stack was needed to run DNF that lived in the Platform module, so that Fedora would continue working even when no modules were installed. The change was also deployed to mainline Fedora so that DNF would not behave differently on the two platforms. In the end, however, the change was not successful. To make the Platform-Python stack completely separate, its files had to be forced to non-standard locations which, among other things, created enormous problems when trying to build C extensions for it. On top of this, Platform turned out to house many more Python tools and building all the Python dependencies for them was just too costly in this manner. F27 Modular Server therefore ended up shipping the normal Python 3 stack in the Platform module, and `platform-python-*` packages were made obsolete in rawhide. Though they are not actually used for anything, the packages shall remain in F27 as it would be risky (and probably impossible) to remove them from a live release.

[Fedora Change] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Platform_Python_Stack

Future

The need for a Python stack in the Platform is still there, however, and thus we'll need to revise Platform-Python for F28. Currently we're trying to make the Platform-Python and the modular Python stacks share one internal implementation behind the scenes, eliminating the need for a costly new independent stack that has to be maintained separately and in non-standard paths. We'd like to post our current plan to python-devel ML soon.

All the best,
Tomas Orsava