Re: Remove old GPG keys?

On 10/31/2017 04:15 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> David Cantrell writes:
>
>> I don't really consider this a thing about saving space or making the
>> output of 'rpm -qa' look nicer or something, but rather being good users
>> of GPG.  If we create and then phase out signing keys, then part of our
>> process should also involve sending revocations for the old keys.  And
>> that process could be automated by a dnf plugin too.  Leaving old keys
>> around on the system for verification purposes presents a risk should
>> the old key become compromised.
>
> Pretty sure I recall that a signing key was potentially compromised,
> some years ago, and the entire distro had to be re-signed with a new key.

Indeed.  It has happened.  It was very frustrating.

> … Yup. Just checked. Fedora 9 had to be re-signed with a new pgp key.
>
> How quickly people forget.

It's very easy to forget.

> Personally, every few releases I've manually gone through, and nuked old
> repo keys.

And I think a lot of us tend to do that sort of housekeeping work, which
was sort of the point of my response.  We could make that a little
better in our tools (if it's not already there in some capacity).

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat, Inc. | Boston, MA | EST5EDT