Re: Updates for Firefox 57 beta

On 16 October 2017 at 10:18, Martin Stransky <stransky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/16/2017 11:10 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
On 16 October 2017 at 10:00, Martin Stransky <stransky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/15/2017 03:58 PM, Gerald B. Cox wrote:

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 3:45 AM, Alexander Ploumistos <
alex.ploumistos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

Now that FESCo has ruled that "firefox 57beta is removed from f25/f26
updates-testing but stays in f27/rawhide", could we at least keep
getting new builds in koji for f25/f26? Judging by the feedback in
bodhi, the various threads here, rhbz and FESCo tickets, there is a
number of users who don't mind sticking with Firefox 57. Going back to
v56 would entail undoing a number of changes and dealing with possible
breakages, only to repeat the whole process in about a month. By the
way, beta 8 was released on Friday.

I don't see why not, but that is up to the maintainer.  The issue wasn't
the testing.  It was the use
of the updates-testing process for something that wasn't intended to be
pushed to stable.

Sure, out of box thinking is not expected here and Vogons could take
lessons from our council members ;-)

ma.

p.s.: please no offense here.

Side note... saying something that "could be" offensive and relies on a
particular sense of humor and then adding a P.S. of "no offense" is not
generally well looked upon ...

Yeah, sorry for that but I could not resist :)

I smiled ... but then I have a bit of a twisted sense of humor at times I think and I try not to rely on it for what others would read into text usually ;)

Have you built it in a COPR instead yet?

No I don't build copr builds as that means extra work here.

If need be I don't mind tracking your commits in F27/master and maintaining
a temporary COPR for F25/F26 users.

Sure go ahead if you wish. You may need to fiddle with system nss/nspr dependencies until nspr-4.17 and nss 3.33 hit stable. You can take the package at https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/firefox/tree/stransky-firefox-57

That's fair enough ... I'll knock something up to automate the COPR build later on today.

Of course we'll need to get the message out on compatibility stuff when it
does go to F26/F25 repos eventually ... I'd suggest a Fedora Magazine
article highlighting the situation? We could even do one early highlighting
the COPR if you'd like some early F26 FF57 testing results?

I'd be happy to propose the article to the Fedora Magazine editorial board
and write it up if that's helpful.

That would be great.

I'll get this proposed in the next few days, I expect we'll get something out there if not next week then the week after.

Since I'm predominantly a Chrome rather than Firefox user I haven't been tracking Mozilla's activities closely in the past few years. Are there some nice talking points I can reference and quickly run through for this update - principally what it means to the users as that will be the most visible effect?

When I have a draft together I'll send you a preview URL for review, if that's okay with you?