Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 09:05:33 -0700
Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/12/2017 01:08 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > In practical terms, FF57 disables all extensions.
>
> I think thats a bit overstated. I'm running FF57 here with a bunch of
> extensions that work with it.

I agree with this.  I run nightly in addition to the fedora version of
firefox, and I have found that some of my dearly loved extensions have
new versions.  And where not, someone has often written a replacement
for the new interface.  I found such extensions by searching in the
add-ons pages at Mozilla. My main lack is that I haven't found a
replacement for antvideodownloader or dwhelper yet (video downloaders).

That said, from reading Mozilla forums, it seems that the new web
extension interface is more restricted than the XUL interface it is
replacing, and certain functionality can't be replaced. Which means
that some current XUL extensions can never be recreated as a web
extension.  The reason this was done is to enhance security.  So, it is
the old trade-off; security versus ease of use.

I don't understand the losses well enough to know whether some of the
things I like to do in firefox with extensions can be replicated or
not.  I've thought about keeping an older version of firefox around
that can use the old extensions for special cases.

Mozilla has been warning about this for over a year in their
development version (nightly), so it shouldn't come as a surprise.