Re: How to chainbuild in a build override?

Neal Gompa wrote:
> Each tag is a full repository that Koji must track and consume for
> generating buildroots. I don't know if the contents go away when they
> get merged into the main tag (I don't think they do, if my
> understanding of Koji is correct), so it just adds to the pressure for
> builders to resolve and the storage backend to hold.
>
> It's similar to how COPR and OBS maintain all the projects' individual
> repositories. And in OBS, submitting packages from one project to
> another does not eliminate the old project unless you request it in
> the submission.
>
> Both Koji and OBS have a garbage collection process, but as far as I
> know, that's run manually...

That is only the storage part, which is not the biggest issue. The biggest
issue is that each time a package is pushed for the standard buildroot
(which for Rawhide means as soon as it is built and autosigned, whereas for
releases, it means as soon as it is pushed to stable or filed as a buildroot
override), Koji has to regenerate the repo not only for the standard
buildroot, but also for all the custom ones that are based on it. So this
multiplies the number of newRepo tasks that it has to run each time. That
said, this cost goes away as soon as the custom tag is deleted, which is why
you should request it deleted as soon as you no longer need it (in
principle, you can delete the custom tag as soon as you tagged all the built
packages into the appropriate f*-updates-candidate tag, but at the latest,
you should delete it when your updates went stable).

        Kevin Kofler