Re: How to chainbuild in a build override?

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Till Hofmann
<thofmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/23/2017 02:05 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>
>> Petr Pisar wrote:
>>>
>>> In rawhide, if you want a longer time isolation, you ask relengs for
>>> a sige tag, you do all builds there without affecting others and then
>>> you ask relengs to merge the builds back to rawhide. Of course this has
>>> same races and one needs to reaply all rawhide changes into the side tag
>>> otherwise a mismatches can happen after the merge.
>>>
>>> I don't know if this procedure is acceptable for f27.
>>

>> It is possible to do this (request a side tag) in a release. The KDE SIG
>> frequently does this for larger updates, the GNOME team sometimes does
>> too.
>>
>> That said, side tags do put a strain on the infrastructure and thus should
>> only be used where it makes sense.
>>

> Why is that? Asking purely out of curiosity.

Each tag is a full repository that Koji must track and consume for
generating buildroots. I don't know if the contents go away when they
get merged into the main tag (I don't think they do, if my
understanding of Koji is correct), so it just adds to the pressure for
builders to resolve and the storage backend to hold.

It's similar to how COPR and OBS maintain all the projects' individual
repositories. And in OBS, submitting packages from one project to
another does not eliminate the old project unless you request it in
the submission.

Both Koji and OBS have a garbage collection process, but as far as I
know, that's run manually...