Re: Kernel 4.13 rebase plans

On 09/22/2017 09:43 AM, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 8:41 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pretty sure the last testing I did with the details form Hans's blog[0] the behaviour was that if the nvidia driver failed then the nouveau driver was a fallback (rather than the older instructions that totally blacklisted it leaving no GPU at all).

If that fallback is working, then I guess that's fine. (Though I'm not speaking for the whole Working Group here... perhaps others expect it to always work, I'm not sure.)

But if Negativo users start complaining that their computers don't boot anymore, then we'll definitely need to stop doing major kernel updates ("taking the entire distro hostage" I guess) as the Negativo support is important for product strategy. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Michael

I appreciate that not having the nVidia driver work is not a good
experience but we choose to do major kernel updates multiple times
per release for many reasons. One of the biggest is that kernel
versions eventually go EOL and no longer get official updates
from the community (see https://www.kernel.org/ that 4.12 is now
EOL). We have no hope of trying to sync to a LTS release and it's
not feasible right now to have the two kernel maintainers try and
manage our own stable release. Moving to a new major kernel version
is the best way to provide bug fixes and security updates to
Fedora users. It's not a perfect process by any means but any
ideas about process improvement need to take that into account as
well.

Thanks,
Laura