Re: Rename of boost-python to python2-boost

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

Was this package rename discussed anywhere?

I don't think it makes any sense. It's not a python package, as the
name python2-boost would suggest.

Hi,

yes, it was discussed on fedora-devel@ and python@ for a few weeks.
An announcement was sent to fedora-announce@.

It installs a shared library, libboost_python2.so, which is a library
of C++ symbols that implement the Boost.Python C++ library.

Why is "python2-boost" a better name for this than "boost-python2"?
That's what the packaging guidelines require for python packages.

But he's trying to point out that this *isn't* a python library package.

Of course, I understand the other side of the coin - this was done by your script which made some assumptions about which packages are python packages, so it's understandable that there were some false positives.

Scott