Re: Raising requirement for application icons in GNOME Software

On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 08:12:22PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> At the moment the appstream-builder requires a 48x48px application
> icon[1] to be included in the AppStream metadata. I'm sure it's no
> surprise that 48x48 padded to 64x64 and then interpolated up to
> 128x128 (for HiDPI screens) looks pretty bad. For F28 and higher I'm
> going to raise the minimum size to 64x64 which I hope people realize
> is actually a really low bar. I'm not sure whether to mass file bugs
> or just try to contact maintainers directly.

I'd suggest
a) asking maintainers to provide 128x128 icons immediately
   (having two transitions is more painful than one, and the amount
    of work required to get a bigger icon is the same)
b) provide a longer and softer transition period
   (open bugs now, but keep showing all the applications that have
    small icons in F28. This way the user experience is not degraded.)

The list of packages is pretty big, so it'll certainly take a while
for all of them to be updated.

>From the other branch in the thread:
> Most maintainers are not graphic artists. Moreover if they had available an
> higher resolution icon, they would already ship it.
>
> I also don't think that nagging upstream about these missing icons is
> really welcome - most of the times even upstream doesn't have a graphic
> artist available.
>
> I believe the correct way to solve this issue is that Fedora Design team
> (if available) provides new icons to upstream.

Often upstream has a source file from which the icon and graphics for
a website are derived. In those cases generating a larger icon is pretty
easy, and "nagging" upstream is the way to go.

Zbyszek