Re: A less "bloated" KDE spin

On 11 September 2017 at 06:45, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 07:17:56PM -0400, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
>> While you (and others) may well know the name of the software you like
>> for a given task, new people will not have that knowledge.
>
> Isn't that really a discoverability problem?
>
> I could imagine having menu items pointing to best-in-class
> applications which are not actually installed.  Selecting the menu
> item would bring up a box asking you if you want to install it.

That was my worry too.. and was going to ask, but I decided I should
actually run the spin to see what it showed. On the menus, I didn't
see a large amount of extra programs. The menu's are clearly labeled
and the items inside them are detailed for what they do for the most
part. Now comes the "what don't I want" game because there is a lot of
different apps installed.

The original job of the Spins/Labs was to showcase a technology in a
read only environment which people could test drive a particular
environment to their needs. It is meant to be a tool that an
enthusiast can help spread their enthusiasm by having USB keys or DVDs
that they can give to someone who says "Oh wow that is a cool desktop,
how can I try it?"

The problem is that after that there are a lot of little needs and
people really may not want all this extra software. We are stuck with
a tool which only does the equivalent of a dd of what is on the usb
stick to the person's hard drive. To do more than that would require
carrying around the rpms and have anaconda then do an install somehow
or doing a slightly dangerous 'post-install' of 'chroot dnf remove all
this stuff you didn't want'. Both of which requires a lot of code to
be written and tested.

We could look at having more spins, but that is more things which need
to be tested every release with very few people showing up to test the
ones already here. My expectation is that spins and labs are on their
way out because there are more complaints about them than the few
people working on them can keep up with and they are going to burn out
and say "@$#%$ it all, I am mushroom farming"

> Rich.
>
> --
> Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
> Read my programming and virtualization blog: http://rwmj.wordpress.com
> libguestfs lets you edit virtual machines.  Supports shell scripting,
> bindings from many languages.  http://libguestfs.org

Stephen J Smoogen.