Re: GNOME 3.25.92 megaupdate

On 2017-09-06 13:16, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-09-06 at 14:02 +0200, Kalev Lember wrote:
>> On 09/06/2017 01:22 PM, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
>>> [tkloczko@domek SPECS.fedora]$ grep filetrigger * | grep icons
>>> adwaita-icon-theme.spec:%transfiletriggerin --
>>> %{_datadir}/icons/Adwaita
>>> adwaita-icon-theme.spec:%transfiletriggerpostun --
>>> %{_datadir}/icons/Adwaita
>>> gnome-icon-theme.spec:%transfiletriggerin --
>>> %{_datadir}/icons/gnome
>>> gnome-icon-theme.spec:%transfiletriggerpostun --
>>> %{_datadir}/icons/gnome
>>> gnome-themes-standard.spec:%transfiletriggerin --
>>> %{_datadir}/icons/HighContrast
>>> gnome-themes-standard.spec:%transfiletriggerpostun --
>>> %{_datadir}/icons/HighContrast
>>> hicolor-icon-theme.spec:%transfiletriggerin --
>>> %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor
>>> hicolor-icon-theme.spec:%transfiletriggerpostun --
>>> %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor
>>>
>>> Seems like packages installing other themes *already* are doing
>>> exactly
>>> what I've been thinking that they should be doing so updating per
>>> icon
>>> theme strategy should be OK.
>>
>> Right, I added file triggers to all gnome-related icon themes last
>> cycle
>> with the plan to delete the scriptlets from individual packages soon.
>> can add the triggers to KDE and other themes as well if their
>> maintainers are fine with it. rdieter?
>
> Lets try to bring some clarity into this. The only 'drop dir' icon
> theme is hicolor - applications are expected to install their app icons
> there, which is why we need a file trigger to update the icon cache for
> this theme when an unrelated package places new content there.
>
> Other themes should be entirely self-contained within their package.
> Apps have no business dropping icons intio Adwaita or HighContrast, so
> it really is not necessary to have file triggers for those themes,
> afaics.

Unfortunately not 100% accurate:

* A number of KDE applications drop icons into oxygen or locolor (in
addition to hicolor).

* d-feet, meld, and terminator drop icons into HighContrast (in addition
to hicolor).  gobby and gobby05 do the same in
HighContrastLargePrint{,Inverse}.

* geocode-glib still drops icons into the 'gnome' theme (the deprecated
one, not Adwaita).

* libmateweather adds to the 'mate' theme.

And there are probably more.

--
Yaakov Selkowitz
Software Engineer - Platform Enablement Group