Re: Splitting AppStream data into Workstation/Server

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Alexander Bokovoy <abokovoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On pe, 01 syys 2017, Neal Gompa wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 8:37 AM, Alexander Bokovoy <abokovoy@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> $ rpm -qi appstream-data|egrep '(Name|Version|Release|Size)'
>>> Name        : appstream-data
>>> Version     : 26
>>> Release     : 14.fc26
>>> Size        : 15631111
>>>
>>> This is what Marius is talking about -- there is little insentive to
>>> install 15MiB of data largely unused on Fedora Server if all you'd need
>>> is a ~1KiB.
>>>
>>> Filtering this information on the application side is OK if it would
>>> have been not so useless in the Server installs.
>>

>> If you're only using 1 KiB of it due to not having much in there, then
>> perhaps you need to make more things available via AppStream
>> information.
>
> We plan to start using AppStream to advertise Cockpit-integrated
> plugins. Currently there is one in Fedora and another one is coming.
> This is not about not having AppStream information for already existing
> applications but rather not having those applications at all (yet).
>
> Even when they will be created and AppStream information would be added
> for them, most if not all Workstation-oriented content of AppStream will
> have no use in the Server context.
>
>> That said, 15MB is *nothing*. The only reason it might be a problem is
>> because PackageKit still cannot do DeltaRPMs (so it's a bit of a
>> bandwidth hog). But that should be fixable.
>
> Forcing every cockpit deployment to bring another 15MB while the whole
> cockpit install is 3MB is definitely too much.
>
> $ rpm -qa| grep cockpit|xargs -n1 rpm -qi|grep Size|cut -d: -f2|awk '{s+=$1}
> END {print s}' 3113811

Think about more than Server for a second here. Cockpit is a perfectly
nice way to manage your own workstation too. I use it myself on my
machines because it provides an awesome interface for a lot of stuff.

It's not just about your vision of usage, it's about how everyone else
uses it too! :)