Re: tcp_wrappers deprecation

On ma, 21 elo 2017, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
"JJ" == Jakub Jelen <jjelen@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

JJ> The denyhosts got last update also 10 years ago [2] and we already
JJ> have quite much 2 alternatives that can do the same using firewalls,
JJ> so it might be also a time to go for denyhosts. Or not, but clearly
JJ> document that OpenSSH will not be using hosts.deny anymore.

The last denyhosts release was not much over two years ago, actually.
https://github.com/denyhosts/denyhosts

I am nominally active with denyhosts upstream, though I just don't have
the time to do the things I really want to do (like fix my support for
the systemd journal or get firewalld support merged).

JJ> That would be great if you could review the dependencies if it is
JJ> used and drop the bogus dependencies.

I can verify that the dependencies are real.  There's nothing bogus
about them; the functionality works.  But if course if tcp_wrappers is
really to be retired then they will need to be rebuilt without it.
For example, slapi-nis has tcp_wrappers support built in. It can be
compiled out, all we would lose is NIS plugin not rejecting access to
NIS maps from clients that were defined in hosts.deny. Whether somebody
relies on this functionality or not, I'm not aware -- at least, I
haven't seen any bugs related to that within the FreeIPA NIS integration
context for last six or so years.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy