Re: F28 Self Contained Change: Packaging Rust applications/libraries

On 08/21/2017 04:20 PM, Christian Stadelmann wrote:
> I'd like to see this change land in F28!
>
> Anyway, I think there is a showstopper:
> * Fedora Packaging guidelines demand packages bundle no dependencies (e.g. libraries, or in Rust's case crates). This is a good choice in my opinion.
> * Rust currently has no ABI definition compatible over different versions of the rust compiler. As a result, every time a new compiler is released it will also require *ALL* rust packages to be rebuild. See https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/issues/600 for details and discussion.
> * To get a sane update strategy, it is critical that not too much packages are involved in rebuilds. Consider a CVE in openssl: Luckily we can rebuild openssl (plus its subpackages) and ship it. No need to rebuild every application that uses openssl or uses another package which uses openssl.
>
> As far as I understand, these 3 points are conflicting right now. Either Rust gets an ABI or we need to give up one of the other two principles, which I highly recommend not to do.

I think ABI compatibility is achieved by shipping source code only in
the -devel packages (similar to what Perl does).

The rebuild issue is still there, but it's no different from certain
Java packaging practices, and what C++ (with template metaprogramming),
Ocaml, Go, and so on currently do.

Thanks,
Florian