Re: New copr-frontend release

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Michal Novotny <clime@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday, August 21, 2017 10:42:00 AM CEST Michal Novotny wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>
> sorry for the late response caused by me being on vacations.
>
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 2:35 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Michal Novotny wrote:
> > > - "Follow Fedora branching" project switch that (if enabled) makes COPR
> > > fork your rawhide chroots into the newly branched ones
> > > and hence user will have your packages available in their f27 systems
> > > and they will also be available for your upcoming builds
> > > (meaning you don't need to bootstrap anything from scratch). It might
> > > take a few days after branching for this to actually take effect because
> > > the new chroots need to be enabled in COPR first (and they should also
> > > be in mock for that as well so that building in them works).
> > >
> > > You can enable the "Follow Fedora branching" option in project settings
> > > and it will basically ensure that your rawhide builds will be copied
> > > into the new fedora-27-* ones when they become available in COPR.
> >
> > Why is that not the default?
>
> I thought there might people that would prefer rebuilding the packages into
> the new chroot.

It would look like use-case for new check-box;  aka rebuild all packages during
fedora-branching time.

> Perhaps there are none. In any case, some people only want to
> enable epel or Mageia chroots in their project. In their case, they wouldn't
> have the rawhide chroot enabled so the option would do nothing anyway but
> still, for them having the option 'on' does not make that much sense.

+1 for having this enabled by default; IMO that's non-issue if that option
doesn't affect non-fedora buildroots.

Also small issue report: from the description of the checkbox is unclear whether
just new chroot is created in frontend database, or also build-results are
copyied from rawhide to branched on "backend" (binary packages).

It describes the way they are created: "automatically created for you (as soon as they are available) as rawhide chroot forks."

Forking in COPR involves copying.

It's not very thorough description that's for sure.

Pavel