Re: Modularity and packagers [was Re: PkgDB and the ArbitraryBranching Change]

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 08:50:58AM +0200, Adam Samalik wrote:
> RPMs... Well, if someone has an application on their server that doesn't
> run in a container, there are still RPMs on a traditional system. But would
> you install multiple versions stuff on that single system? Or would other
> things run in containers? And I'm just curious here, because I managed to
> use containers for basically everything I need. What about other people?
>
> So, not everything will probably be installable as RPMs on the same system
> at the same time. But I see the world is going to containers, and I'm
> thinking if not being to install all RPMs next to each other on a single
> system is still a real problem. Thoughts?

I can totally see the appeal of containers when you have a uniform
cluster infrastructure that is shared by wildly different
deployments/users with wildly different requirements. That's what things
lke k8s do well.

OTOH, you pay for that nice flexibility with a huge increase in
complexity. Why would I want to put up with that if I'm not managing a
lot of deployments or, heck, when it's just my own development computer?

I may still do it for fun or because the benefits are really worth it in
a specific case, but designating it as the default (and maybe only) way
to work seems wrong[1]. Not when all that's actually required is a
different version of some library.

[1] Especially when considering that our industry as a whole has a very
hard time (euphemism!) producing systems that correctly deal with the
complexity that's already there.