pkgdb 'collections' API is now inaccurate, will soon go away (was Re: PkgDB and the ArbitraryBranching Change)

On Fri, 2017-05-26 at 15:42 -0400, Ralph Bean wrote:
> To make this happen requires significant infrastructure changes.  Our
> proposed plan[4] is to decommission PkgDB entirely and to replace it
> with a combination of PDC[5] and pagure over dist-git.  (Tangentially,
> getting pagure over dist-git to play nicely with PkgDB was a
> challenge.  This route gets us to a pull-request interface for spec
> files quicker.)

There's an important consequence of this that I only realized today.

pkgdb had an API endpoint, 'collections', which was useful as a
reliable source of information about available Fedora releases and
their status. It still exists now, until pkgdb is entirely turned off:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/api/collections/

but as pkgdb was made read-only on August 4th, its data is outdated. It
shows Fedora 24 as 'active' (rather than 'EOL'), and it has not had
Fedora 27 added (as would usually be the case when it branched).

My 'fedfind' project provides a couple of helper functions for
discovering the current release, all current stable releases etc.,
which were backed by the collections API. I have various things
downstream of fedfind that rely on these helpers, and I know for sure
there is other code that similarly relies on the collections API; the
one I know about for sure is gnome-software, but I'm pretty sure there
are some others too.

Of course, the 'natural' response to this would be to rewrite things
that use the pkgdb collections API to use PDC instead. However, there's
a problem with that: PDC does not provide sufficient data. Releases in
PDC can only be marked as "active" or "inactive". It seems EOL releases
are marked "inactive" and both stable and under-development releases
are marked "active" - so it is literally not possible to tell from PDC
whether a release is stable or Branched (e.g. right now, both Fedora 26
and Fedora 27 are simply 'active').

There is a long-standing bug report about this for PDC, which I've just
updated: https://github.com/product-definition-center/product-definition-center/issues/294

Anyway, just wanted to provide a heads-up about this problem for anyone
who's using collections (either directly or via fedfind). For fedfind
purposes, I've cut a new release - 3.6.1 - which simply has the current
'correct' answers hard coded, and this will be provided as an update.
Ralph Bean says he'll try to help get PDC updated to handle this
situation, and then I'll update fedfind again to get the information
from PDC. If you're using the pkgdb data directly, please be aware that
it is no longer accurate and will disappear entirely, whenever pkgdb is
fully disabled. CCing Richard Hughes for the gnome-software case.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey