Re: Mass package change (python2- binary package renaming)

On 11 August 2017 at 00:08, Petr Viktorin <pviktori@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/10/2017 04:52 AM, Scott Talbert wrote:
>> I'll plan on fixing wxPython myself, but you may want to look into why it
>> wasn't on the list as there may be others.
>
> Thanks for noticing!
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know of a good way to automatically tell if a package
> contains a Python module, or if it's an application that just happens to use
> Python.

While I've never actually tried it, it seems the metadata files used
for "whatprovides" reverse lookups might help:

1. Find all RPMs that drop files into '/usr/lib64/python2.7/' or
'/usr/lib/python2.7/'
2. Categorise as a Python library if they *don't* drop files into "/usr/bin"
3. Categorise as a Python library if there's an RPM that drops similar
files into the python3.6 lib directories
4. Categorise as an application if neither 2 nor 3 apply

If it works in practice, such an approach would also help pick up
cases like libvirt-python, where a Py3 RPM exists, but isn't called
"python3-<name>".

Cheers,
Nick.

--