Default location for addons AppStream metadata has changed

Hello all,

Sometime ago, the default location of AppStream metadata for addons
(*.metainfo.xml files) changed from %{_datadir}/appdata/ to
%{_datadir}/metainfo/[0].

As far as I can tell that change went mostly unnoticed, given that
most of our packages still install addon metadata in
%{_datadir}/appdata/. I visited the relevant wiki page[1] which still
lists the old location, but I could not edit it, because it says I
should be a member of the "Packaging" group (btw, who belongs to that
group and how does one become a member?).

Could someone with edit rights change the page to reflect the current
state of things?
Since we have people working upstream on AppStream (ha ha), was this
(or any other similar change to the spec) announced someplace?

Thanks
Alex

0. https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-Metadata-Addon.html
1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:AppData