Re: Finalizing Fedora's Switch to Python 3

On 28.7.2017 16:25, John Dennis wrote:
I made this comment previously but because I think it's important I'm going to repeat it.

Yes, we hear you.

Fedora's Python version migration needs to be coordinated with RHEL.

It is. However it is hard to coordinate a future change with RHEL7 that is kinda designed not to change much.

Yes I know Fedora is independent of both Red Hat and RHEL but the real world reality is spec files are shared between both. At the moment you cannot easily share a spec file between the two, this leads to maintaining two independent spec files for something that ought to be nearly identical and increases the burden on package maintainers and increases the opportunity for errors.

We added a Q&A section that says something about sharing a specfile across Fedora and EPEL [1].

It doesn't speak about RHEL, because AFAIK adding macros to RHEL7 (or even RHEL6) may be a bit complicated. However changing one's packages form RHEL to use those new macros might be as complicated as that. If you have packages in RHEL and Fedora that have identical spec files and you update them in RHEL regularly when you update them in Fedora, please contact us trough Red Hat channels so we can craft a solution that works for you.

If you share specfiles across EPEL and Fedora, use the proposed solution from the Q&A section.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FinalizingFedoraSwitchtoPython3#Q.26A

The transition is already going to be painful, let's not make it more painful than it needs to be.

Believe me, we are trying hard not to.

At a minimum the set of RPM macros to manage the difference between Python versions needs to be identically supported in both Fedora and RHEL. I'd like to see this as an explicit goal of the transition strategy.

I don't want to discuss RHEL related strategies on a public ML, again feel free to contact us trough Red Hat channels, if you want to hear more.
--
Miro Hrončok