Re: Finalizing Fedora's Switch to Python 3

On 28.7.2017 12:01, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 09:49:42AM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 27.7.2017 19:15, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
Do you think it'd be possible to script the python-foo to python2-foo
renaming?

May be possible but given the variety in the spec files, we didn't
think it would be easy. IMHO taking a bunch of provenpackagers and
updating the packages manually without asking the owners will be
less time consuming than creating an automated tool.

However, in both scenarios (people or tools), I consider that
approach aggressive and would rather only do it when the deadlines
are close.
We'd rather not change other people packages and make them mad about
what have we done. The transition to Python 3 is unfortunately
considered a failure in eyes of some Fedora contributors.
[My original comment here has been deleted to protect the innocent ;) ]

I consider communicating our efforts with the package owners and
explaining them what and how to do as more friendly approach.
However, definitively more time expensive.

On the other hand, maybe we can start updating the packages co-owned
by python-sig, as I would say those are considered to be maintained
by the group rather than a person. In case you'd like to try to
write an automated tool for that, please go ahead (but please let us
know).

I don't know if delaying this will help. Actually stretching out the
transition might make things more painful, because it'll increase the
window where you don't know if any given python package has python2-
or python- prefix, so you need to check all deps. I'm sure getting rid
of this ambiguity would be welcome.

So instead of taking this slowly, I'd rather go through FESCo
and public announcement on fedora-devel, and then just apply the change
to as many packages as possible at once. Technically, I think it would
be reasonable to try to script this, w/o pushing to dist git, then put
up the diffs for review somewhere, and then finally push at once, at get
a few pps to do the rebuilds (some stuff is bound to fail for related
or unrelated reasons, so some debugging is expected).

In the other mail Nick Coghlan listed various steps: it's far from
trivial, but OTOH doing 800+ packages by hand ain't gonna be fun either.
I'll try to look into this over the weekend, it sounds like a fun
challenge.

Thanks, feel free to reach out any time for help.

Zbyszek

Miro Hrončok
--
Phone: +420777974800