Re: Fedora, apps, and the Flatpak opportunity

On Wed, 2017-07-19 at 12:20 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> ...and there would have to be some plan that would work when the
> desktop doesn't include EDS (what if you are running on
> KDE?) Would the flatpak runtime include a simple implementation?

	Hi,
there is no such thing like "simple implementation", if you mean
evolution-data-server. And even you highlight Evolution, it's not about
it. It's about evolution-data-server, which serves as a data storage
for Evolution, GNOME Contacts, GNOME Calendar, GNOME To Do, GNOME
Shell, bijiben, geary and so on. The evolution-data-server is a hard
dependency for these. When you run an application which needs any of
the services provided by evolution-data-server, regardless which
desktop environment you are running, then the services are run on
demand. Transparently. No problem with it.

The nice thing with the current RPM is that all the data is shared
between all those applications, thus you can check your calendars both
in Evolution and GNOME Calendar, without a need to configure them
separately to know about the same calendars. Similarly for other
products. And count to it also GNOME Online Accounts, as a central
place to define accounts, which can be picked by various applications.
That's an advantage and had been advertised as such when GOA became
alive. Such advantage should stay in place once you'd like to provide
GUI applications as Flatpak in Fedora.

If I understood it properly, then you suggest that these sharing will
be impossible in Flatpak delivered GUI applications. That feels like a
regression, at least to me. It's nice that there is used GNOME Recipes
as a "proof of concept" when it's used as a Flatpak-only delivery in
Fedora 26, but it's no real GUI application, it has no real
dependencies. You might use "nano" for the same "proof of concept". The
worse that the plan is to have all GUI applications delivered as
Flatpak. You might pick something more complicated, what actually uses
core system services to deliver certain value to users, to have the
proof of concept. Otherwise you have "this works for this Fedora and no
where else". From my point of view. On the other hand, if GUI
applications delivered as Flatpak in Fedora are meant for certain
version of Fedora, then it's all fine. In that case the Flatpak would
not be meant as a generic runable package on any distribution, only on
that certain Fedora.

It would be different when trying latest stable/development version of
the GUI application on an outdated Linux. It is expected to not have
that data sharing advantage there, from my point of view. But on the
other hand, such Flatpaks would be provided by the upstream, not by
Fedora.

I briefly looked into the Flatpak build script for GNOME Calendar [1]
and it builds its own evolution-data-server. At least the upstream
version. It makes sense. If I would create a Flatpak for Evolution,
then I'll do the same. Might or might not it be done in Fedora too,
when built from rpm?

> I don't think bundling GNOME Online Accounts makes sense - it appears
> like part of the desktop to the user. In the unsandboxed case, you
> can just access the D-Bus service from your application.

Evolution-data-server links to it and it's a soft build-time
dependency. No D-Bus hacking, just using provided C API by GOA.

> We definitely don't want debugging Flatpak applications to be no fun!

Ah, great, then I've been misinformed. I'm sorry about that.

	Thanks and bye,
	Milan

[1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-calendar/tree/org.gnome.Calendar.json?id=d0787df33030b4b8b8b78da79873b4556f772937#n59