Re: F27 Self Contained Change: New default cipher in OpenVPN

On 18/07/17 22:55, Farkas Levente wrote:
> On 07/18/2017 10:03 PM, David Sommerseth wrote:
>>>
>>> unfortunately it's not working:-(
>>> it takes me long time to debug it on my own server and a long discussion
>>> in this ticket:
>>> https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/886
>>> it's not possible to set
>>> cipher		AES-256-GCM
>>> since in this case old clients eg android client which not updated to
>>> 2.4.x are not able to connect.
>>
>> The issue I believe you refer to ("unreliable NCP") should be fixed in
>> OpenVPN v2.4.3.
>> <https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/887#comment:13>
>
> this means only a few weeks ago...
> imho openvpn is _very_ widely used and if it's break anything it's break
> a lots of thing...
> i'd rather postpone it to f28 when it's fully tested and stabilized.

What is the benefit of postponing based on a bug which have been fixed?
And have been tested?  And where the test process should reasonably
thoroughly documented and can be verified by others?

Also considering that we're just in the very early planning phase of
F-27 and F-26 have just been released.  So F-27 is at least 6 months
ahead of us.  Which means the NCP feature will be at least 1 year old,
with the last fix making this work will be 6 months - which should be
plenty of time to test this out.  Plus considering that OpenVPN is
deployed elsewhere in much grander scales than Fedora alone where also
NCP is getting more and more used and rolled out in similar ways as this
proposal.  So this is also being tested outside the Fedora universe as well.

In addition, the scope of this proposal *only* targets the server side
configurations.  I would expect the vast majority of Fedora users run
OpenVPN as a client, and then I'd expect it to be more likely used via
the NetworkManager plug-in for OpenVPN.  In both these scenarios,
nothing will change.

I know I am somewhat blinded to other potential issues, as I am also an
upstream OpenVPN developer.  But if others see flaws in the proposed
test script [1], feel free to help improve it!  And do report back
unexpected results ASAP.

[1]
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/New_default_cipher_in_OpenVPN#How_To_Test>

Bottom line is, from my perspective:  This feature currently works as
expected - at least to my knowledge.  If there are issues we do have
time to fix them before the final F-27 release.  And if not, then we'll
roll it back - which is more than fair enough.

The change itself isn't big, but the security improvements are
considerably much more important for end users and system administrators
to help them easily move away from BF-CBC.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth