Re: F27 Self Contained Change: New default cipher in OpenVPN

On 07/18/2017 03:55 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> This will result in the following:
> * OpenVPN 2.4 based clients will automatically upgrade to AES-256-GCM,
> regardless if they have --cipher in their configuration file or not.
> For OpenVPN v2.4 configurations not wanting this cipher upgrade, the
> client configuration needs to deploy --ncp-disable.
> * OpenVPN 2.3 based clients and older (and v2.4 clients using
> --ncp-disable in the client configuration) can connect to the server
> using any of the --ncp-ciphers list; this is what is called "poor
> man's cipher negotiation" by the upstream OpenVPN developers.
> * Any client not providing --cipher defaults to BF-CBC.  These clients
> should still be able to connect to the server as the server allows
> BF-CBC through --ncp-ciphers.

unfortunately it's not working:-(
it takes me long time to debug it on my own server and a long discussion
in this ticket:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/886
it's not possible to set
cipher		AES-256-GCM
since in this case old clients eg android client which not updated to
2.4.x are not able to connect.