Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On 14.07.2017 19:36, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:27 PM Matthew Miller <On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at
> 05:05:23PM +0000, Debarshi Ray wrote:
>

>>> How about reliable online updates of running applications as a
>>> benefit?
>>
>> AND the ability to roll back, to choose beta or stable streams, etc.
>>

> These are reasonably good advantages but if there isn't a seamless
> transition between them, it induces a lot of pain.   For instance,  dnf
> cannot install flatpak apps currently and I can't use kickstart to automate
> installation in the same way etc.

Arguably dnf should never support flatpaks as that is not its job.
Instead there should probably a tool (called "app"?) that sits on top of
the lower-level dnf and flatpak tools that abstracts the idea of
installing software away from the delivery mechanism (rpm, flatpak).

"app install blender" would check both flatpak and rpm repositories and
install the latest version it finds (by using the dnf and flatpak
commands in the background).

Regards,
  Dennis