Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 11:26:04PM -0500, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> But we have not been. Very few applications actually have SELinux profiles,
> and they are all maintained downstream rather than upstream. The volume of
> erroneous SELinux denials in Bugzilla is too high, and the response time for
> fixing them too slow. SELinux profiles work best when they are maintained
> upstream by application developers who are familiar with SELinux, not by
> SELinux developers who are unfamiliar with the application.

We do have the same issue with sandbox policies for Flatpak, no?  This
is the hard part of any sandboxing system and (judging from the current
docs) Flatpak hasn't tackled it yet.

A Flatpak app currently requires the following incantation to access the
host's dconf, so that it can behave like its users would expect:

> --filesystem=xdg-run/dconf
> --filesystem=~/.config/dconf:ro
> --talk-name=ca.desrt.dconf
> --env=DCONF_USER_CONFIG_DIR=.config/dconf

Now, while this specific dconf issue might get solved at some point,
dconf won't be enough for the vast majority of useful apps. All the crap
that lives in the various dot files in your home directory and elsewhere
on the system and that affects the behaviour of a program needs to be
made available to the app. Other things must not be, such as everything
containing secrets.

Some apps (e.g. virt-manager) need access to your ssh-agent socket but
you certainly don't want to make it available to every single app. This
is just a single instance of the general case of a program talking to
one of the numerous services that may run on the host.
programs depending on user configuration.

You want some environment variables passed through to the sandboxed app
(EDITOR or whatever) but not others (e.g. AWS_SECRET). How is the
Flatpak app even going to execute your favorite editor?

Someone is going to have to write all the policy for that. Otherwise,
the only apps that Flatpak will be able to handle properly are going to
be trivial mobile-style apps that don't interact with anything but their
developer's cloud services.