Re: No i686 kernel: Can we require SSE2 for i686?

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12-07-17 14:40, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 01:43:53PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>>
>>> If cost is an issue, consider to drop all these ppc, arm, s370 and
>>> mips targets.
>>>
>>> Their user base is like magnitudes smaller than the i686 user base,
>>> while these target are having a significant impact (and thus cost)
>>> on everything in Fedora.
>>

>> Ralf, you know how this works: Fedora is made up of people, and
>> therefore Fedora does what people show up to do. People are showing up
>> to work on those other architectures, even though they are niche, and
>> *no one* is showing up for i686.
>

> That is not true. Let me quote my reply to Josh on this:
>
> """
>
>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2015-February/208368.html
>
> Which is yet another generic, non specific call for help. Which
> unsurprisingly (given its unspecificness) did probably not get
> a lot of response.
>
> What would be helpful is a concrete list of things people who
> care about i686 can work about. For example an i686 kernel tracker
> bug + link to that on the https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel
> page.
>
> I believe that something among the lines of: "we need help, but we
> are not really specifying what, still please do something" is not
> going to get you a lot of help.
>
> OTOH "here is a prioritized list of TODO items, if all of the
> high prio items have not been solved before $date, then we are
> going to have to drop ia32 support from F28" OTOH will likely
> be much more effective IMHO. This will cut 2 ways:
> 1) It will likely get the kernel team more help
> 2) If the kernel team does not get help, or not enough, then
> you have a strong argument that not enough people care about
> ia32 bit support and it should be dropped
>
> """
>
> I believe there are 2 problems here:
>
> 1) i686 support is limping on in a state where it more or less
> still just works, so there are no itches to scratch and thus no
> volunteers

That seems accurate, except for the bugs that the kernel team did fix
along the way for whatever reason.

> 2) There have been some requests of help, but they have IMHO
> not been specific enough. A request for help should really be
> seen as sort of a bug report and just like "the program does
> not work" or "the program is broken" are not useful bug reports
> "we need help" is not a useful request for help.

This is not accurate.  As I said in my other reply, the kernel team
isn't asking for help with i686.  It simply isn't a priority at all.

Also, in the context of overall i686 HW support, it is worth pointing
out that none of the Editions has a 32-bit release blocking artifact.
Most of them don't care about 32-bit installs either, with some of
them not even having them produced.

josh