Re: No i686 kernel: Can we require SSE2 for i686?

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2015-February/208368.html
>

> Which is yet another generic, non specific call for help. Which
> unsurprisingly (given its unspecificness) did probably not get
> a lot of response.

Find bugs.
Fix bugs.

Seems specific.

> OTOH "here is a prioritized list of TODO items, if all of the
> high prio items have not been solved before $date, then we are
> going to have to drop ia32 support from F28" OTOH will likely
> be much more effective IMHO. This will cut 2 ways:
> 1) It will likely get the kernel team more help
> 2) If the kernel team does not get help, or not enough, then
> you have a strong argument that not enough people care about
> ia32 bit support and it should be dropped

An example was given of what the kernel team will not do anymore
because they don't have the resources. And that entails becoming aware
of bugs, so you'd need a way to become aware of i686 bugs, and then
fix them, and then interface with upstream to get a fix if they have
one, or push a fix if you find one, and then patch Fedora's kernel in
the interim before the patch is accepted upstream. Literally the job
description of what the kernel team does day in and day out, they
aren't going to do for i686 kernels.

That's been my take away for like, two years.

--
Chris Murphy