Re: super-drafty F28 and F29 schedules

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 01:30:32PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Hopefully, by the time we are at F28, Modularity will provide a way for
> > us to offer faster streams for people who want them -- but let's also
> > focus on stable releases.
>
> But with Modularity, how much does it even make sense to talk about
> "Fedora" releases in a generic fashion with a 6mo cadence? Aren't we
> likely for many modules to only have a single stream (or multiple)
> that may not match that cadence?

I think we're still going to have a large number of packages that
aren't on that model in a year. And, I expect we will still have a base
runtime (or something) that comes out on a six-month cycle -- and
we'll probably want to have some release artifacts (like Workstation)
which also follow that cycle.

> It seems to me offhand that some things like the Change process will be around
> modules, and then changes in those modules get reflected into any editions they
> affect?   A lot of the Changes listed here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/26/ChangeSet
> would seem to be for the base module, but there are several desktop/Workstation
> specific ones.  And we get into a lot of interesting questions around the intersection
> of the languages and Workstation, depending on what gets installed by default.
> (My take would be to reduce the amount of things installed by default, and really
>  encourage doing most development in containers, decoupled from the base host
>  lifecycle, like Atomic Host)

Sounds good to me!

--
Matthew Miller