Re: Fedora 27 mass rebuild at risk

On 07/07/2017 04:20 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 07/07/2017 08:53 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> We currently have an invalid IFUNC resolver in libgcc.a on POWER
>> (rhbz#1467526).  glibc in rawhide recently started linking that into the
>> library and there are significant problems with that (rhbz#1467518).
>>
>> I'll be on PTO next week, and it does not seem likely that this is going
>> to be resolved upstream before that.  If upstream (both glibc GCC are
>> involved) don't come up with a solution, I'm not sure
>>
>> If we downgrade glibc to 2.25 in rawhide, we will have to rebuild at
>> least the following packages right after that because they have a
>> GLIBC_2.26 symbol version dependency:
>>
>>  inn-2.6.1-6.fc27.src.rpm
>>  remctl-3.13-4.fc27.src.rpm
>>  sudo-1.8.20p2-1.fc27.src.rpm
>>  tmux-2.5-1.fc27.src.rpm
>>  unbound-1.6.4-1.fc27.src.rpm
>>  xorg-x11-server-1.19.3-6.fc27.src.rpm
>>
>> Besides the glibc downgrade, I'm not aware of anything else we could do
>> to get ready for the mass rebuild in time.
>
> IBM has worked through a patch that will fix the libgcc issue:
> https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2017-06/msg01430.html
>
> All we need to do now is:
> * Get the gcc trunk patch into F27 gcc.
> * Rebuild gcc and libgcc.
> * Rebuild glibc.
>
> And that should be everything we need to do before the mass rebuild
> start on the 12th.
>
> I'm reaching out to Jakub/Marek on the gcc side to get help with this.

Status update:

* Get the gcc trunk patch into F27 gcc.

  * Patch committed to trunk [Done -- IBM]

  * Rebuild gcc and libgcc [In progress -- Red Hat]

    * Blocked on several header issues and changes which make gcc FTBS.
      Working on fixing the issues.

  * Fedora backport [Not started]

* Rebuild gcc and libgcc [Not started]

* Rebuild glibc

  * Patch committed to trunk [In progress -- IBM]

    * Second round review complete, and final patch in progress.

  * Sync to Fedora [Waiting -- Red Hat]

  * Rebuild [Waiting -- Red Hat]

If we're lucky we can get everything ready for the 12th, but we might
need another day or two given how long it takes to build gcc on all
the arches.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.